Ministry of Textiles has issued a notification to set up 7 Mega Integrated Textile Region and Apparel (PM MITRA) Parks with a total outlay of Rs. 4,445 crore. These are aimed at helping India to achieve the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 9: "Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation". It is hoped that the PM MITRA Parks will have world-class industrial infrastructure which would attract cutting age technology and boost FDI and local investment in the textiles sector.
The PM MITRA scheme is Inspired by the 5F vision of Hon'ble Prime Minister - Farm to Fibre to Factory to Fashion to Foreign. It aspires to fulfil the vision of building an Aatmanirbhar Bharat and to position India strongly on the Global textiles map.
- PM MITRA Parks will offer an opportunity to create an integrated textiles value chain right from spinning, weaving, processing/dyeing and printing to garment manufacturing at 1 location
- Integrated Textile Value chain at 1 location will reduce logistics cost of Industry
- Intended to generate ~1 lakh direct and 2 lakh indirect employment per park
- Sites for PM MITRA Parks will be selected by a Challenge Method based on objective criteria
- Proposals of State Governments having ready availability of contiguous and encumbrance-free land parcel of 1,000+ acres along with other textiles related facilities & ecosystem are welcome
Several states such as Tamil Nadu, Punjab, Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Assam, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh and Telangana have expressed interest.